I should be writing a My Sunday Best post, filled with all those annoying daily selfies that I force myself to take. I wore skirts every day this week, and wore make-up too, and took pictures for a post.
But I can’t write that post right now because today I fell down a research hole, trying to decide if I’m really INTJ or actually ISTJ. I took the test awhile ago – maybe a couple of years ago? – and discovered that I was INTJ. Recently I heard that someone I seem to have a lot in common with is an ISTJ, so I did some research and re-took the test, and the results were ISTJ. So now I’m baffled and obsessed with solving the puzzle of Who I Am.
Why do I need to figure it out, you ask? Oh, no reason. I just want to know, and seem unable to move on with my life until I decide. Is that a point for one or the other?
Ways I am INTJ:
- Love to read all the books, learn all the things. Being called a bookworm is a compliment.
- Don’t like to be touched. I mean, I can hug you if I know you, but really. We can each stay in our own space, that’ll be fine.
- Have no tolerance for stupidity, messiness, or inefficiency.
- Hate small talk. This really cannot be overemphasized. It made last week’s conference difficult for me.
- High standards, perfectionism.
- Can’t stop thinking. Oh, the things that I can’t stop thinking about in the middle of the night.
- Can be a leader if the situation calls for one, but otherwise content to follow a leader I trust.
BUT, all the descriptions say INTJs are super confident and I am not. I’m also a big fan of rules and tradition, which INTJs are supposed to spurn. And I’m not much of a debater. The description of INTJs under stress – turning to mindless repetition and sensate activities – doesn’t seem to fit.
Ways I am ISTJ:
- Dependable, reliable, dutiful.
- Value security and peaceful living.
- Always have a detailed plan.
- Enjoy rules and structure.
- Under stress: go to catastrophic mode and imagine the worst of everything. Do I ever!
So what do you think? Should I continue to think of myself as INTJ, even though some aspects don’t fit, and I do have quite a few strong ISTJ tendencies? Please, someone, figure me out so I can do something else. 😉
(If you’re not familiar with the types, here’s a helpful link.)